The Woodshed (All Friday and Saturday race-related activities)
1389 Big Flatts Church Rd
Fleetwood, NC 28626
CLICK HERE for a venue site map.
Friday, June 7 Schedule:
New River Mile (1-Mile)
Day/Date: Friday, June 7
Ages: All ages
Registration: Race day registration will be available. Runners registering after May 12 are not guaranteed a T-shirt. Waiver is required at the time of packet pick-up/registration MINOR WAIVER.
Registered Runners Get: New River Marathon T-shirt, finisher’s medallion and the famous Stick Bread Company COOKIE!
Parents: are welcome to run with their children on the course and do not need be registered. Baby joggers are welcome, although the field will be bouncy.
Course: 2 marked loops on the grounds of the Woodshed.
Registration: Via the Race Registration page.
Entry Fee: For complete fee schedule, please refer to the Entry Fees and Deadlines tab under Race Registration
Saturday, June 8 Schedule:
6:15am – 7:45am : Runner Reg./Packet Pick-up (WAIVER REQUIRED click either Runner or Minor)
7:15am : Prerace Prayer/Devotional at Stage
7:30am : Marathon Start
7:45am : Half-Marathon Start
8:00am : 4-Mile Start
8:00am : Amantha Mill on Stage (the High Country’s Best Blue Grass), CLICK HERE for some video.
9:30am : 4-MIle Awards Ceremony
10:45am : Half-Marathon Awards Ceremony
11:45pm : Marathon Awards Ceremony (Overall Awards)
12:30pm: Marathon Awards Ceremony (Age Group Awards)
1:30pm : Marathon and Half-Marathon courses close
Runners for the Marathon, Half-Marathon, 4-Mile and 1-Mile Run need to bring a signed waiver with them to check-in (see link below) and also have two options for check-in and runners must pick up two items: race bib (with bib tag for chip timing already attached) and race shirt.
Option 1: Friday night, June 8, 5:00pm – 9:00pm.
Option 2: Saturday, June 9, 6:15am – 7:45am. Important Note: road traffic will be held for the start of each race. Please arrive at least 30-45 minutes before the start of the Marathon (7:30am start time) to avoid being held in traffic.
Click here for the driving directions to the New River Marathon Start.
Important Note: After exiting Highway 221, the final 2.2 miles are are small two lane, country roads. In addition, there is one entrance to the start / finish venue. Please allow ample time for travel, parking and registration / check-in.
PLEASE CAR-POOL! Parking space is ample, but parking will proceed quicker with fewer cars. Parking will be directed by local Volunteer Fire Departments. Parking will be in the hard-packed field of the Woodshed. Traffic will be held before the start of each race, so even if you’re running the 4-Mile, plan to arrive at least one-hour in advance of your race start.
- The Marathon, Half-Marathon and 4-MIle will start at the Woodshed near the Finish Line.
- The races will start on time.
- Items left at the Start may be retrieved at the Lost and Found at the Finish Line Officials’ Tent.
On Course Support:
- Staffed support Stations will be available approximately every two miles (marathon and half-marathon) and will consist of water, sports drink (Gatorade), and porta-johns. The marathon support stations at mile markers 7.7, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5 and 25.2 will also have Hammer Gel (Huckleberry, Apple-Cinnamon, and Espresso) and M&Ms. One support station will be available on the 4-Mile course at Mile 3. Water only will be available at Marathon Mile 1.5 Half-Marathon Mile 2.1.
- Marathon support stations will be available at miles 1.5 (water only), 3.4, 5.4, 7.7, 10.2, 12.0, 13.5, 15.7, 17.5, 19.6, 21.5, 23.4, 25.2.
- Half-Marathon support stations will be available at miles 2.1 (water only), 4.0, 6.5, 8.5, 10.4, 12.1.
- Distance Markers will be signed every mile and 5K.
- Turns will be signed and staffed.
- The course will follow roads which are lightly traveled and will remain open to normal traffic. However, intersections and specific sites will be staffed to control traffic and direct runners.
- The best option for spectators is to bring a blanket or lawn chair, and relax at the start / finish line, while enjoying music performed live by Amantha Mill.
- Option 2 is to cheer your marathon runner on the course. However, this is less ideal than Option 1 and is a bit tricky. Unlike the city-based marathons, at which you could avoid the race route by driving one city block, a county block is several country miles and we want to avoid putting additional traffic on the race course. The Marathon has 3 possible cheering sites, which are listed below. However, the Half Marathon and 4 Mile do not have adequate or safe parking along these race courses.
- If you chose to cheer your Marathon runner on the course, please use the driving directions provided in this link (link coming soon) to avoid the race course. Less traffic on the race course is a courtesy to the runners and local community.
- Marathon Mile 10.2, Todd Mercantile: Great location to cheer the runners as they complete the out-and-back in the historic hamlet of Todd. Be certain to get some hot coffee, a cinnamon roll or other bakery specialty from the Mercantile, while the runners are gutting it out. Parking in Todd is limited, so car-pooling is a necessity.
- Marathon Mile 12, Green Valley Community Park: Great views of the park, the Blue Ridge Mountains and the New River Valley.
- Marathon Mile 17.5, Riverside Restaurant: In the valley, near the New River. This is the original venue for NRM. Not sure if the restaurant will be open.
Finish Line Photography:
- Race photography will be provided by Marathon Photos. Please CLICK HERE to follow the link to https://www.Marathon-Photos.com .
- Photos will be taken at the start, on the course, at the finish line, and post finish line for all races (Fun Run excluded).
- For the best photo and to keep your number visible to the finish line photographer, please restrain from stopping your stopwatch. You will be provided with a chip time.
- There will be a staging area near the finish line for individual and group photos.
- A videographer may be capturing race day footage.
- Photos will be posted and will be available for sale. Please allow several days for all photos to be uploaded.
- Chip timing will be used. All times will be based on gun time. Results will be posted periodically throughout the morning.
- All finishers in the marathon, half-marathon and 5K will receive a finishers “medal”. The finishers medallion will be locally crafted from either locally reclaimed wood or local sustainable harvested wood.
- Stick Boy Kitchen is our Finish Line Sponsor. Runners will be refreshed at the finish line with made from scratch scones and bagels, fresh fruit and more.
- Post race festivities will take place around the finish line. The Todd Community Preservation Organization will be offering (for sale) fresh brewed coffee (6:00am) and breakfast goodies (for spectators and early finishers). By mid-morning they will be selling a variety of foods. Bring a picnic blanket and enjoy some tasty food, watch the finish line, and listen to Amantha Mill, one the High Country’s premier Bluegrass bands.
- Awards Ceremonies
- 4-Mile will be held at 9:30am
- Half-Marathon at 10:45am
- Marathon Overall at 11:45am
- Marathon Age Groups at 12:30pm
- Awards will be presented to the top 5 male and female finishers in marathon and half-marathon. Top 3 male and female finishers in the 4-Mile. (Fun Run excluded).
- Awards will be presented to the top three male and female finishers in each age group in each race. Age groups include: 19 years and younger, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+. Runners who receive overall awards are not eligible for age group awards.
- The overall awards for each race will receive a locally crafted wooden bowl and a gift certificate to a local business, which may include:
- 3 day/2-night stay at Echota
- 2-nights stay at the Friends Cottage, Laurel Ridge Camp, Conference and Retreat Center
- RiverGirl Fishing Company 3-hour fly-fishing lessons for up to 4
- RiverGirl Fishing Company 3-hour tubing trip for up to 4
- Ashe County Cheese Gift Basket
- Boondocks Gift Certificate
- Appalchian Ski Moutain Gift Certificate
- Stickboy Boy Kitchen Gift Certificate
- The Hotel Tavern Gift Certificate
- Age Group Awards include locally crafted prizes.